Angela Fletcher - Pet Bereavement Counselling
I focus on supporting people bereaved from the death of a pet or other animal.
Living with the death of an animal can be very traumatic. However, our grief may not be accepted by those around us, and even by ourselves, as being as valid as grief felt from the death of a person. Yet, we might feel just as angry, lost, empty, confused, as much as if we had ‘lost’ a parent, friend or other significant person.
Added to this, the death of an animal may intensify or bring other emotions - we may feel more upset and confused from the fact that we are grieving so much over the death of an animal – compared to how much we might have grieved for a previous death of a person.
We may also feel guilty - we often have the choice of when to end a pet’s life, making the decision with the vet of whether, and when, to ‘put the animal to sleep’.
Having experienced many of my own pets’ deaths and been desperate for support myself, I felt that there was a need for face to face counselling support for people like me – living through the death of an animal.
I began my counselling career working as a schools’ counsellor, whilst also working for Cruse offering bereavement support for people living with the death of a person. Like most of us, I have experienced, and have had to continue living through the death of loved ones – people and animals. I have valued any support I have been able to find during those dark days, weeks and months. It is for that reason that I want to offer support to anyone else as they also go through this time.
I am a fully qualified counsellor and hold an Advanced Diploma in Integrative Counselling. I have also trained in bereavement support, having taken the Cruse ‘Awareness in Bereavement Care’ foundation course, and the Blue Cross Pet Bereavement Support course. I am fully insured and enhanced DBS checked.
My qualifications are as follows:
- Certificate in Pet Bereavement Support, Blue Cross, ncfe accredited , 2016
- Diploma in Youth Counselling, Institute of Counselling, 2014
- Awareness in Bereavement Care foundation course, Cruse Bereavement Care, 2008
- Advanced Diploma in Integrative Counselling, 2006-8, Iron Mill Institute
- Level 2 Certificate in Counselling Skills, 2005-6, Farnborough College
- Level 2 in Initial Counselling Skills, 2004, Farnborough College
- Registered Member MBACP (member of the British Assocation of Counsellors and Psychotherapists)
- PGCE (in post compulsory education), Anglia Ruskin University
- BSc sciences, Open University
- MSc Computer Studies, Sheffield Hallam University
- BA (Hons), Humanities, University of Hertfordshire
Adults: £40 for 1 Hour Session, individuals.